Hyper Compressor Alignment
The dimensional inspection of a reciprocating compressor consists of the following procedures:
- Verify the straightness of the crankshaft bores horizontally and vertically in respect to gravity.
- Confirm the perpendicularity of the bores housed in each bay relative to the crankshaft.
- Principal inspection of the crosshead assembly before installation into the casing.
- Concluding inspection of the crosshead after installation into the casing.
- Confirmation of the distance of the crosshead below the centerline of each bay relative to the bores.
Using progressive laser technology and innovative coordinate geometry software, Schaeffer Precision Alignment, Inc. (SPA) service technicians calculate the alignment of the reciprocating compressor. In suitable conditions the dimensional inspection of a reciprocating compressor can be completed in three hours. Collected compressor data can then be manipulated in respect to any orientation requested by the client. Compressor alignment and on-site field report computations can be completed in five hours. Tests have shown a significant reduction in vibration levels of a reciprocating compressor subsequent to SPA’s alignment and inspection methodology.
Angular and parallel alignment of the driver and driveshaft within the manufacture’s tolerances is crucial to maintaining equipment longevity. Misalignment beyond three thousandths of an inch can introduce large vibrations into the system. Advantages of coupling alignment within the recommend specifications include:
- Less equipment failure and subsequent down-time.
- Reduced stress on bearings and other internal components.
- Longer coupling lifetime.
- Decreased energy usage.
- Minimized equipment vibration.
Using advanced coupling alignment techniques SPA can verify that the vertical and horizontal alignment of the driveshaft to the compressor crankshaft is within tolerance prior to start-up and during scheduled inspections. Additionally, SPA’s coupling alignment process includes thermal growth calculations in accordance with the manufacture’s alignment tolerances. The initial coupling inspection can be done in just five minutes with reports printed on-site. SPA also offers alignment monitoring during adjustment phase.